What may and may not be compared with circumcision
Things you may - and someone does - compare with male genital cutting
- Leah on Babycenter.com, November 15, 2011
- Hair- and
- IfThen in the Guardian December 6, 2011
- tooth-straightening and
- Rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz in the Jewish Week, February 6, 2012
- tonsillectomies and
- SubZeroIQ on FITSnews.com, June 20, 2012
- Feeding your kids spinach,
- making them come in at night, or
- get up for school
- DanMK on Zionica, July 2012
- Tipsy Teetotaler on Intallectualoid, September 18, 2012
- Removal of wisdom teeth and
- stopping your child from crossing the road alone,
- eating poison or
- putting their hand on a lit stove
- Anonymous writer in The Word (Indianaopolis) p 21, October, 2012
- Barbara Amiel in MacLeans.ca, October 2, 2012
- how u dress ur child
- Valerie Brink on Facebook, October 2, 2012
- Winston Blake on Macleans.ca, October 3, 2012
- Removal of pyrogenic granuloma (benign red skin growth) from the forehead (Granulomas often grow and shrink over time, stretching the skin in a way that surgery can not correct.)
- Leah Cypess in the Atlantic, October 3, 2012
- to let teeth grow in the mouth of a child, and more cruel still
- to allow all of them to break [come out]
- Sadaf Sarfaraz on MSN Arabia, October 11, 2012
- to plan a trip to a region that is disease rampant, and take their child
- HapkidoNinja on The Jewish Post, October 15, 2012
- Feeding him a high-fibre diet
- Mikey Bowler on the Greater New Orleans Times Picayune, October 18, 2012
- The use of tobacco (for the standard of proof of harm required)
- atpontchrtrn on the Greater New Orleans Times Picayune, October 18, 2012
- Putting on a coat in the winter,
- taking medicines if they become ill,
- eating meat their parents cook, or
- for vegetarian parents - not eating meat
- Linus Scot on NPR, October 18, 2012
- Umbilical cord cutting
- Tweeted by Hartwick College pre-med (!) Omar Russo, October 25, 2012
- Internal examinations during labour
- cesarean delivery... even at the cost of their child's life.
- Sue Ieraci on The Conversation, November 7, 2012
- ... forc[ing] them to go to school,
- go to the dentist,
- brush their teeth and
- take a shower.
jonjlm on IMDb, November 19, 2012
- cleft palate repair
lamk on Huffington Post, December 20, 2012
- Ok yall talk about your childs rights like you cant choose whats best for them? So do they choose if they ... brush their hair
- go to school ... Ok what about
- medicine ...
- going places they could get in an accident ...
Comment to Mary Lanser on Facebook, January 21, 2013
- poisoning your children with grape juice...
- apple juice...
- any type of fruit juice.
Marcapen on single dad laughing, February 12, 2013
- ... you buy you kid cheerios instead of frosted flakes
Thomas Lafferty on Facebook, February 27, 2013
- The sequester is something like a circumcision.
Wm on Yahoo News, March 8, 2013
- ... like a fabric must be stitched and cut before it become a shirt.
Message to Indonesian Intactivist on Facebook, March 10, 2013
- ... a car accident which is much more likely [than a circumcision death], but I'm not going Amish anytime soon.
Brian Callaghan on Facebook, March 25, 2013
- ... Just like if I bought my son a car it's still MY car until he's 18.
- Caity Bro String on Facebook, April 4, 2012
- ... going to grandmas for Christmas...
Mike Baird on Metronews, Ottawa, April 10, 2013
- "If you have a problem with what we did, sorry, we named you too..."
William Struemke on YouTube, April 13, 2013
- ... being forced to eat his string beans...
- being forced to go to early morning swim team practice...
Aric Bernard in The Jewish Daily Forward, May 7, 2013
- "So if a 13 year old goes to their parents & says I want to have a baby, it's my body, my right, should that parent allow it & let their child make that decision because it is THEIR BODY & RIGHT?"
Laura Dionne Gensoli on Facebook, May 11, 2013
Things you must never, NEVER compare with male genital cutting
- Female genital cutting
An analogy would be no use if the things it compared were alike in every way. It is of use when it compares similar attributes of things. These things are either not permanent, or not done without consent, or not done to (born) infants, or choices between near-equivalents, or vital to life - unlike male genital cutting.
It is as a human rights violation that female genital cutting is comparable to male genital cutting. It is not severity that makes genital cutting a human rights violation, but that it is invasive, permanent, reductive and done without consent.